You know it’s spring when local asparagus abounds. Celebrate with this satisfying soup!
- 1 onion or 3 or 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 bunch asparagus spears, tough bottom discarded, cut in 1” sections
- ½ pound, (3 or 4) potatoes
- 4 C water or broth
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (or use broth instead of water)
- 1 T lemon Juice
- ½ C Sunflower seeds
- Salt and pepper (OPTIONALl), or lemon pepper and/or soy sauce
Sauté onion in a wok or soup pot coated with a splash of orange-carrot juice, broth or other liquid, on medium-low heat until soft.
Add asparagus, potatoes, bouillon and/or water, salt and pepper. Simmer on medium-low heat until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes. With a slotted spoon, take out 10 – 15 pieces of asparagus and set aside. Add lemon juice and sunflower seeds. Process soup with a hand blendor, or in blender or food processor. Add back the asparagus pieces. Serve.