This is a ‘tried and true’ recipe that I have been making for many years. It really is delicious, and perfect for the chilly season….
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut in large bite-sized chunks
- 4 carrots, scrubbed and cut in bite-sized slices
- 8 ounces tempeh or seitan, cut in bite-sized chunks
- 3 small or 1 large leek, washed, trimmed and thinly sized (I rarely have leeks sitting around — I just use chopped onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup natural-style peanut, almond, or cashew butter
- 2 T tamari, or soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 cup water or broth (I always save and freeze the broth from cooking beans, etc for these purposes — but water will work as well)
In a good-sized skillet, heat up a small amount of olive oil and give the chopped onion a little sauté. Add the minced garlic and sauté that a little too. Add the potato and carrot and swirl that around a bit in there as well. Dump it all in the crockpot, along with the tempeh or seitan chunks.
Whisk together remaining ingredients and pour over the veggies in pot.
Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours (more or less. Probably less). Serve hot with a crusty loaf. Enjoy!”