Hummus or Middle Eastern chickpea spread is so satisfying and versitile, as a snack with veggies and rice snaps, in a wrap or sandwich, a stuffing for mushroom appetizers, or diluted for a salad dressing! It’s easy to keep it low-fat by abstaining from adding oils. If you need to control weight, avoid further added fat by eliminating the tahini (sesame butter).
- 1 can of drained garbanzo beans
- Juice from a lemon or ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. tahini [disregard for a lower-fat version]
- 1 fresh garlic clove, or 1 tsp powered garlic
- Spices of your choice, [chili, cumin, pepper, salt]
Whiz it all together in the food processor.
Serve with sliced vegetables (carrots, celery, jicama, sliced peppers and lettuce leaves, and whole grain pita or crackers (which you can find without added oil).