Be brave! An unplanned salad can be just as delicious as one from a recipe. Salads with a simple dressing are great vehicles for leftovers and makeovers, and often turn out tastier than you ever expected. Getting raw vegetables in everyday will fill you up and boost your immune system, so try experimenting. Bell pepper? Tomatoes? Fruit? Beans? Pasta? Throw it together!
- Lettuce greens – salad mix or leftover salad, lettuce – the more colorful the better
- raw vegetables including cucumber, sweet peppers, carrots, grated beets, scallions, tomato, sprouts, jicama….
- Beans rinsed and drained from a can
- Canned artichokes in water from a can (preferable no added salt)
- Leftover veggies, frozen veggies like corn or peas, or whatever’s in the fridge
- Sprinkle of sunflower or sesame seeds
- Leftover grains or potatoes
- Oil-free dressing, vinegar like malt or balsamic, lemon juice or mashed avocado with vinegar or lemon juice
Slice is all up in a bowl and top with dressing at the table.
Travel Variation: stack in a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar starting with dressing on the bottom, then hardest vegetables first, with lettuce on top. Shake onto a plate or bowl for lunch!
There are no reviews yet.