The taste of this familiar dressing comes from the seasoning. When we allow our tastebuds to get used to the flavors of spices without a film of fat, they pop!
Included here are many oil substitutes to use in adapting any favorite dressing or sauce
- 1 cup oil substitute*
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon-style prepared mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp mild sweetener/3 soaked dates (in water)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp salt or herbal shaker like Dash or Spike
- 1 tsp dried basil or Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- pepper to taste
* Oil substitutes:
- 1 can drained artichoke hearts, packed in WATER!
- 1 T ground flax seeds mixed with 1/3 C water
- 1 ½ tsp arrowroot mixed with 1 cup cold water, whisked, then gently heated in a pan until just boiled.
- Unsweetened soymilk or other plant milk, if you want a creamy-ish replacement
- Dried Mustard or Paprika
Whiz everything together in blender or food processor.